Thursday, January 6, 2011

Ask Me: Paying the rent!


Anonymous asked
Angela,

First of all, I just stumbled upon this site and I think it's great! It's awesome that you're giving out answers that I cannot find anywhere else. My question is really more about living in NYC as an actor. I'm curious about apartments--everything on Craigslist is soooo expensive and I don't know how I could afford it! Can waiters really afford to pay $700/month just by waiting tables? How much do you really have to work in order to afford this ludicrously expensive (yet amazing) city? How much do waiters make during the week and is it easy to pay the rent? I know small acting roles won't pay that much... I'm coming from small town Georgia but I'm scared I'll be living on the street within a week that I get there!












It is a very expensive city indeed! It is possible to make a living here, though.
$700 is probably what you’ll pay if you live in an apartment with a roommate and is a very manageable amount of money to raise. You will have utilities and other expenses, too, so I’d plan on raising at least double that if you can.
Depending on where you work...





No comments: