Monday, October 19, 2009

Actors casting/breakdown websites and services: To Pay Or Not To Pay?

To Pay Or Not To Pay?

Well, it depends.

A friend recently asked me about a casting website for voiceovers in England. I didn't have any real feedback for her regarding that particular site but it made me think about the casting venues that I do know and that I use here in the US on a daily basis.

First off, let me dispel some myths.
Just because a website promises to book you work and put money in your pocket it doesn't guarantee anything. At best it will fill your email box with lists of the many auditions currently happening in the city and offer you a chance to submit yourself.
In some cases, for those of us who are currently without representation, it can get our foot in a door that may have previously been closed - for example perhaps an ad agency has exhausted its resources with agents and CD's and is looking for new talent beyond the pool they've already tapped. Actors Access and other such sites are a goldmine for them.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Angela! I've been out of the game for a while but am ready to start submitting again. I look forward to your next post...

Christopher Pelham said...

Because our non-profit is the legal agent of a dozen foreign artists, some of whom are actors, in residence here, we tried to subscribe to the same service that other agents subscribe to in order to receive all the info about casting calls. We were told we had to join the talent agent's guild. As a non-profit whose mission is to provide a home for foreign artists in NYC, we will never be allowed into the guild.... I suspect some very strong collusion between the acting unions and the talent agents to make it more difficult for foreign actors to get commercial work (hardly surprising to anyone in the industry). To me, it's just one more reason we should break all of these unions, which are all clearly much more interested in protecting their members' financial interests than they are in facilitating the making and experiencing of great art.

Angela Dee said...

Thanks anonymous!
New postings on their way...

Angela

Angela Dee said...

Hmmm. I'm still of two minds about the unions. Since I've joined the economy has taken a turn for the worst and the jobs I used to see as being under union jurisdiction are now listed as non-union. So, we'll see where all this takes us. It certainly makes it harder to work! Let alone produce your own work..