Thursday, August 13, 2009

VO Agents Won't Sign Foreigners

I was just given some fascinating information about representation as a foreign voiceover artist.

I currently freelance with a few different agencies in the city and after booking a number of "big" spots was curious why no one was signing me. Then, thanks to the insight and wisdom of my new voiceover coach, Peter Rofé, I learned something that I've never heard before:
Voiceover agents won't sign foreigners!
Why? As a foreign VO artist I am considered "specialty" talent and due to the rarity of available work in this field most agencies will refrain from entering into a contractual relationship with me - avoiding the contention that will undoubtedly arise when there aren't any jobs to send me on and I start harassing them about their "obligation" to me, etc, etc, blah, blah, blah.

Pretty straight forward, I suppose.

1 comment:

CityWife said...

HI, Angela! Thanks so much for commenting on my blog - and for the recipe!The cookies look divine. Your blog is great! I have passed it along to two of my friends who are aspiring actors and they said they'd give it a look-see. Bummer about the agents-not-signing-foreigners thing. I had NO idea! That stinks - and seems very short-sighted, in my opinion. It was lovely to meet you, too. Do you think we could figure out a way for you to send me the spots we did? I'd love to hear them! Hope to bump into you soon. Will certainly comment again! - CityWife